- 1 bunch of kale, any variety
- 2 medium carrots, shredded
- 1 bell pepper, diced small (I prefer a red just for contrast in colors)
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced small (you can use red or yellow, I'd just saute it first)
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (or one 15 oz can, rinsed & drained)
- 1/2 cup pesto or balsamic salad dressing
- 1/4 cup sun dried tomato pieces, cut up small
- 1/3 cup green olives (oil cured, not canned, go to the olive bar if your market has one), sliced small
- 1/3 cup thin sliced basil
- 1/3 cup fresh dill, chopped up fine
- 1 cup cooked quinoa, brown rice, barley, or wheat/spelt berries **You'll need more pesto or salad dressing (this option makes for a nicely hearty dish - great for picnics)
- Fresh tomatoes and cucumber (if this is going to be eaten right away), drained capers, raw cauliflower, beets and peas. Any additional veggies should be chopped up into small pieces.
Stem, wash and shred the kale into very small pieces and add to large bowl. Add in all other ingredients, pesto or salad dressing last. Toss well to evenly coat all of the kale and to keep the grated carrots from clumping together. Let stand at least 30 minutes before serving. Serves 8
This salad keeps very well and does very well being made a day ahead of serving. It travels great too.