- 3tbsp oliv oil
- 1 large onion (sweet/white) diced or chopped
- 1 large bag mixed frozen veg (peas/carrot/corn, etc)
- 2 16oz cans garbanzo beans
- 2 24oz cans diced tomatoes
- 12-16 cups veggie broth
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 cup sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1 tbsp cornstarch or Wondra gravy maker
- 1 cup chopped frozen spinach
- Rinse and strain garbanzos
- In a 12 quart stockpot, heat to medium, add oil, and saute' onions for 4-5 min, or until just this side of tranlucent.
- Add mushrooms & garlic. Saute' for 4 min covered, stirring once or twice, until the mushrooms begin to let go of their liquids.
- Add in frozen veg. Saute covered for 2 more min.
- Add in tomatoes and their liquid. Stir well and cover.
- Add broth to cans, swish to get all the rest of the tomato goodness. Add all liquid to stockpot.
- Add garbanzos.
- Cover ad bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for a goodly long while.
- Before serving, gather 2 cups of liquid, strain veggies, and place in a working bowl. Whisk in corn-starch/Wondra. Add back into stock-pot. Simmer for 5 min more while soup turns to stew. Add in 1 cup frozen chopped spinach.
- Serve with bread or over pre-cooked pasta fusilli or rotini.
Obviously, you can take this soup in a number of directions. It can very easily be made into a tortilla soup (add cumin & cilantro and garnish with a slice of lime), or a tuscan (add an additional can of white beans, some fresh basil or 2 tbsp of pesto paste, garnish with lemon), florintien (add two cups of frozen spinach at the outset and cook in) or spanish (cumin & paprika, plus a small tin of sliced black olives & lemon). I typically start with this base soup, then do one or more of the varriations with the left-overs.