Leaves & stems of at least 4 beets are needed. You should end up with about a cup of chopped stems and around 4 cups of leaves. I've also made this with a mix of beet greens and chard. Kale would be great... pretty much any greens will do!
- beet stems, chopped
- beet greens, large leaves torn a little
- half a medium, sweet onion, diced
- 2 inches ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste or 2-3 cloves minced (out of garlic, oops)
- 1 T mild oil
- 1/2 t Panch Poran (check out a Desi shop for this)
- salt & lemon juice to taste
Saute onion in oil until it begins to brown and caramelize. Add in garlic, ginger and then the Panch Poran, cooking until fragrant. Then add in beet stems, a little salt, and cover. You may want to add a tablespoon or so of water to help steam the stems. After the stems start to soften a little add the greens and cover until they begin to wilt. Toss greens with stems and onions below to blend all together. Continue to cook covered until stems are cooked (we still like them kinda firm). Toss with a little more salt and lemon juice before serving.